For individuals or groups reading Faith at Home: A Handbook for Cautiously Christian Parents
Chapter 1 Talking about God
- How has your understanding of God changed over time?
- What barriers or bridges have you encountered in talking about God or religion with relatives, friends, coworkers, children?
- What names or images for God or the Divine resonate with you?
Chapter 2 Talking with God
- What does prayer mean to you?
- Please share a way of praying that’s meaningful to you.
- How and when do you pray with your children?
Chapter 3 Bible Stories
- What scripture stories or verses challenge you, give you strength, comfort you?
- How do you approach reading and understanding the Bible with children?
- What ways of responding to scripture have you tried and would recommend?
Chapter 4 Why Church?
- What is your earliest or most vivid memory of church?
- What do you find at church that you can’t or don’t experience elsewhere?
- What do you hope your children will find at church?
Chapter 5 Seasons and Celebrations
- What season of the church year holds the most meaning for you, and why?
- What special tradition do you have for celebrating a religious or secular holiday at home?
- Which holy day would you like to try celebrating with your family this year?
Chapter 6 Making Home Holy
- What makes home holy for you?
- Please share a mealtime, family night, or bedtime ritual or practice that your family enjoys or would like to try.
- Please share a tradition or ritual for birthdays, milestones or another special day that your family enjoys or would like to try.
Chapter 7 Finding God in Difficult Times
- How are you aware of God’s presence in difficult times?
- What has helped you most in a time of grief or loss?
- What have you found most helpful with children who are experiencing grief or loss?
Chapter 8 Meeting God in Others
- Please share an experience of being included or including others outside your family.
- What opportunities have worked well in expanding your children’s circles of concern?
- How has your family been able to learn about other religions and cultures?